Saturday, October 1, 2011

Embracing Spanglish




What is Spanglish? 
According to a  blogger called Payazaro, Spanglish it's the mixing and blending of Spanish and English. Although, I think it's a great definition, I also think it is much more than. It's one of the most visible characteristic of current Latinos who live in United States and it is definitely affecting our lives.

Last night, I was watching TV with my kids when suddenly we heard a very loud thunder. Mommy “I have not miedo de los lightnings,” the little one said to me. Then I corrected him; you say “no le tengo miedo a los truenos.”
I am not worried about Spanglish. What really discourages me is the fact that they don’t know words in Spanish. 
When my daughter tells me about her day at school, she switches back and forth from English to Spanish. I look at her somehow amazed, by how natural this seems to her, and I wonder if she realizes what she is doing. Of course, her story takes place while at school, she has lived the moment in English, it is easier and more natural to retell in English. So I challenge her, please talk to me in Spanish. With her best intentions she starts again in my language, but in the middle she switches back to English. That’s Spanglish. So I say, let’s embrace it. Let’s accept the fact that they will speak like that. But also, they need to learn how to properly express themselves in each language independently one from the other. They can do Spanglish at home, or even with their friends. But they can’t do that when traveling abroad to visit the family, or when talking to a person who is not bilingual.

The only solution I can find is that I have to run the extra mile by making them speak Spanish. It's easy for both, our kids and us, to keep a conversation in both languages. They speak in English, we answer in Spanish. But No, we need to encourage them to speak Spanish.  Reading is another important point. We have to make the time for it. It is not necessary to do it every single day. But it has to be something continuous. So people, start working.  We have to read to them in Spanish. When do you think it is the right time?  


------ 
 

¿Que es el Spanglish?
Según el bloggero Payazaro, el spanglish es la simple mezcla del idioma español con el ingles. Si bien creo que es una definición muy acertada, también creo que el spanglish es mucho mas que eso. Es una de las características mas notables de los hispanoparlantes que hoy viven en Estados Unidos, y definitivamente esta afectando nuestras vidas.

Anoche estaba con mis hijos mirando la televisión, cuando de repente se escucho el ruido de un trueno feroz. “Mami yo no estoy scared de los lightnings,” me dijo el mas chiquito. Entonces, lo corregí, “se dice, no tengo miedo de los truenos.”
No me molesta el spanglish. Lo que me desanima, es que no conozcan las palabras en español.
Cuando mi hija me cuenta sobre su dia en la escuela, habla combinando palabras de ambos idiomas. Yo la miro asombrada de lo natural que a ella le resulta este proceso, y me pregunto si es consciente de la manera en la que se esta expresando. Obviamente, si me relata hechos que originalmente sucedieron en ingles, le va a resultar mucho mas fácil y natural, relatarlos en ese idioma. Entonces, le pido que haga el esfuerzo de contármelos en español. Con las mejores intenciones, ella lo hace, pero luego de un par de frases, vuelve de manera natural al ingles. ¡Gente, eso es Spanglish! Yo creo que hay que asimilarlo y aceptar que esa es su forma de expresarse. Pero también, tienen que saber poder expresarse bien en ambos idiomas de manera independiente uno del uno. Pueden hacer Spanglish en casa, o incluso con sus amigos. Pero no pueden hacerlo cuando viajamos a nuestros países a visitar la familia o cuando están manteniendo una conversación con una persona que no es bilingüe.

La única solución que encuentro, es que tenemos que hacer un esfuerzo extra y no dejarles de hablar nuestro idioma. Gente, es muy fácil mantener una conversación con nuestros hijos en ambos idiomas, ellos hablan ingles y nosotros contestamos en español. Pero eso no esta bien. Tenemos que obligar a nuestros hijos a hablar español. Y otro punto fundamentalmente es la lectura. Hay que encontrar el tiempo. No tiene que ser algo diario, pero si continuo y constante. Así que gente, a ponerse las pilas. ¡Hay que leerles en español a nuestros hijos! ¿Cuando les parece a Uds. un buen momento para hacerlo?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment